2770 Ethical and Legal Issues
Ricky Rescue Training Academy’s “ATPC2770 Ethical and Legal Issues for the Fire Service” course is a 45-hour, self-paced online fire course with continuous enrollment and is one of the five required course units for Florida Fire Officer 3 certification. The five required course units for Florida Fire Officer 3 certification are as follows:
- PD-4023 I-400 – Advanced ICS for Command & General Staff
- FFP2770, BFST2770, ATCP2770 – Ethical and Legal Issues for Fire Service (45 Hours)
- FFP3785, BFST3785, ATPC3785 FFP3785 (RN 9516) – Chief Officer (60 Hours)
- RN4807 – Courage to be Safe
- RN9641 – Analytical Approaches to Public Fire Protection (45 hours)
The FFP2770, BFST2770, ATPC 2770 Ethical and Legal Issues for the Fire Service course complies with the Job Performance Requirements established by NFPA 1021. The course familiarizes students with the types of ethical and legal issues that face fire service personnel today, particularly with regard to:
- Human rights
- Labor relations
- Conflict and resolution
Students are also taught guidelines for making ethical decisions. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand how ethics impact the environment of the fire department and fire service
- Understand the processes by which laws and regulations are created at all levels of government and how these authorities (Federal, state, and local authorities) create laws and regulations.
- Comprehend the court system at the national, state, and local levels and will be able to know the jurisdictions of each.
- Recognize the organizations and entities responsible for the provision of emergency services and fire protection.
- Recognize the powers granted to each administrative agency as well as that agency’s role in the community.
- Comprehend the elements of a crime and know the differences between criminal offenses and statutory crimes.
- Understand the procedures for apprehending criminals, including arrests, exclusionary rules, and who can be charged with a criminal offense.
- Recognize civil liabilities such as battery, assault, intentional torts, and false imprisonment and how those civil liabilities may affect the fire services.
- Understand negligence and how it can impact the fire service
- Understand immunity law as it impacts the state
- Recognize how and which types of contractual issues can affect the fire service.
- Comprehend labor laws and collective bargaining
- Understand how employment discrimination can affect the fire service
- Comprehend drug testing policies and procedures, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Family Medical Leave Act
- Recognize what constitutes employee discrimination and be able to identify these instances, including sexual harassment
- Understand public accountability laws
In addition to enrolling in this course, you must have:
- Legal Considerations for Fire and Emergency Services; J. Curtis Varone; Thompson Delmar Learning (2007) Second Edition ISBN: 978-1- 4018-6571- 9.
- NOTE: This book is not supplied with your purchase of the course but is available through technical bookstores and online vendors.
- NOTE: Before purchasing any textbooks, ensure that you are using the correct ISBN, as there may be several versions of the title available depending on customization requirements for individual schools.
- Ethics 101, John C. Maxwell; Center Street.
- A high-speed internet connection
- CHAMILO_CODE 2770
When completing an online or blended class through Ricky Rescue Training Academy, you will be held completely responsible for your own achievements. You must ensure that you work consistently and diligently to complete the coursework and related requirements in order to move forward. These open enrollment courses allow you to pace yourself, but will require sufficient self-discipline to keep up to date with the workload. Therefore, it is your responsibility to set aside the time required to complete the various units of these courses.