2706 Public Information Officer
Ricky Rescue Training Academy’s “ATPC2706 Public Information Officer” course is a self-paced, online fire course with continuous enrollment with a task book component that provides 45 hours (CEU’s) towards Florida State Fire Instructor and Fire Inspector certification renewal.
The FFP2706, BFST2706, ATPC2706 Public Information Officer (PIO) course complies with the Job Performance Requirements established by NFPA 1035. The course will familiarize students with the roles and responsibilities of the organizational spokesperson according to current public relations practices. Specific examples from the fire service are used for illustration purposes, in particular case studies from crisis communications that demonstrate the PIO’s role in the incident command system.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the news media and the various roles, functions, and key terms used by the media industry
- Recognize the ethics and laws that apply to the media industry
- Discuss news events and identify the different types of news events
- Recognize the various categories of media and the specific requirements of each
- Understand media policies and know what needs to be included in an effective media policy
- Understand why the phrase ‘no comment’ is not an appropriate response
- Comprehend the problems and issues commonly associated with public speaking
- Understand the elements of an interview and recognize areas of concern
- Identify potential traps and pitfalls for PIOs
- Understand how proactive media events work, their benefits, and the role of the media in disaster and emergency situations
- Understand the role of the PIO in high-profile events
In addition to enrolling in this course, you must have:
- Media Relations for Public Safety Professionals; Jones & Bartlett (2004) ISBN: 978-0763731670
- NOTE: This book is not supplied with your purchase of the course but is available through technical bookstores and online vendors.
- A high-speed internet connection
- CHAMILO_CODE 2706
- FFP 2706 PIO Online
This course prepares the student to serve effectively as an organizational spokesperson, according to current practices in the profession of public relations and numerous examples from the fire service. Particular emphasis will be placed on case studies in crisis communications and the role of the PIO in the incident command system.
When completing an online or blended class through Ricky Rescue Training Academy, you will be held completely responsible for your own achievements. You must ensure that you work consistently and diligently to complete the coursework and related requirements in order to move forward. These open enrollment courses allow you to pace yourself, but will require sufficient self-discipline to keep up to date with the workload. Therefore, it is your responsibility to set aside the time required to complete the various units of these courses.